Scandinavia Design
Thonet, Design Allemand
Espace Client
Fr
Panier
En

S40 / S40F Chair
Mart Stam, 1935 

The S40 is a garden chair whose concept and design are reminiscent of Mart Stam's classic S43: clear, unobtrusive forms, optimum seating comfort and high quality materials and finish. These chairs were first illustrated in the Thonet catalogue in 1935 under the designation B 33 g (g for "Garten" = garden in German). The slats of the current model are made of solid iroko.

S40 / S40F Chair Mart Stam, 1935

Similar in appearance to teak, this high-density African wood is highly resistant to the elements and has a smooth, uniform surface. All wooden parts are treated with a protective oil. Can be combined with the S 1040 table.

S40 / S40F Chair Mart Stam, 1935

Materials Oiled Iroko and stainless steel
S40 Chair 45 x 56 x H85 cm S40F Chair 56 x 56 x H85 cm
Seat height 45 cm

S40 Chair Mart Stam, 1935

S40 Chair

S40F Chair Mart Stam, 1935

S40F Chair

Cushions

Seat cushion
Back cushion

Seat cushion

Back cushion

Cushion colours
Cushion colours
Cushion colours
Cushion colours
Cushion colours

Night blue

Anthracite

Petrol

Nature

Taupe

S40 / S40F Chair Mart Stam, 1935
S40 / S40F Chair Mart Stam, 1935
S40 / S40F Chair Mart Stam, 1935
S40 / S40F Chair Mart Stam, 1935
S40 / S40F Chair Mart Stam, 1935
S40 / S40F Chair Mart Stam, 1935

Mart Stam

Mart Stam

Mart Stam, born in 1899 in Purmerend in the Netherlands, was one of the leaders of modern architecture and a pioneer of contemporary furniture design. He attracted attention in 1927 with his architectural contribution to the Weißenhof Estate in Stuttgart, both as an architect and as a designer experimenting with tubular steel. In 1928 and 1929, he worked as an architect in Frankfurt, where he was involved in the construction of the Hellerhof housing estate. At the same time, he was invited to lecture at the Bauhaus, where he taught elementary construction theory and town planning. From 1930 to 1934, Mart Stam was active in Russia and other countries; he then worked as an architect in Amsterdam until 1948. In 1939, he became head of the Academy of Arts and Crafts in Amsterdam, and in 1950 he was appointed director of the Conservatory of Applied Arts in Berlin-Weißensee. He returned to Amsterdam in 1953, but emigrated to Switzerland in 1977, where he died on 23 February 1986 in Goldach.