15% OFF with DESIGN15

-15% on all LOUIS POULSEN collection (until October 15)
Code POULSEN15


Louis Poulsen

Louis Poulsen
VL RING CROWN pendants & wall lamps
design Vilhelm Lauritzen, 1940's

Designed by Vilhelm Lauritzen in the 1940s, VL Ring Crown is an important collection in Danish design history, which comes in a variety of wall lamps and pendant versions.

Its very rounded lampshades are reminiscent of the aesthetics of the VL38 series. The combination of mouth-blown 3-layers glass and untreated brass structures gives VL Ring Crown fixtures a look that is both simple and luxurious, allowing it to fit in with any interior style. Untreated brass will develop a beautiful patina over time, giving the lamp an additional character.

  VL Ring Crown is available in pendant lights with 3, 5 or 7 shades and as a wall lamp with 1 or 2 shades. 

Shades Mouth-blown, 3-layered, polished opal glass. Frame and canopy Satin polished brass, untreated. Please note that the brass surfaces are untreated.

Light source E27

Weight pendant 1 shade 1,2kg – 3 shades 4,7 kg – 5 shades 6,7 kg – 7 shades 9,5 kg

VL Ring Crown
pendants & wall lamps
from 399 €

Vilhelm Lauritzen

Vilhelm Lauritzen (1894–1984) is one of the most significant architects in the history of Denmark; he was the trail-blazing figurehead of Danish functionalism. A number of his buildings – Nørrebro Theatre (1931–32), Daells Varehus department store (1928–35), Radiohuset (1936-41) and the first airport built in Kastrup (1937–39) – represented the concentrated essence of contemporary life. Other significant buildings to stem from Lauritzen’s drawing board include Folkets Hus (1953–56) better known today as the Vega concert venue, the Shellhuset (1950–51) building and the Danish embassy in Washington (1958–60). In particular the Radiohuset building and the earliest version of Kastrup Airport – both listed today – are considered peerless monuments to modernism in the European genre of construction.

Throughout his life, Vilhelm Lauritzen adhered to the principle that architecture is applied art – with equal emphasis on both ‘art’ and ‘applied’. “No life without aesthetics” was another one of Vilhelm Lauritzen’s firmly held beliefs.

Vilhelm Lauritzen mastered both daylight and artificial lighting. He consistently involved daylight in his architectural projects by including large south- and west-facing windows that neatly mixed warm sunlight with the cooler sky light flowing in through windows facing north and east. It was an approach that shifted focus from the limited wall surfaces in the room itself. People, furnishings and fittings are highlighted and shaded in the sculptural light.

Lauritzen’s fixtures light up with the same idea. They combine strongly directed light that produces sharp shadows with a gentler, more diffuse illumination that softens and shades the rooms.

The first light fitting Vilhelm Lauritzen designed was created in 1926–29 for Fritzsches Glashandel and named the Universal pendant.

As a true functionalist, Vilhlem Lauritzen dedicated his entire life to continuing to develop and improve his light fixtures.

Vilhelm Lauritzen’s first fixtures, which he designed for Radiohuset, started to appear in Louis Poulsen catalogues in the middle of the 1940s.

In the 1950s – in step with the progress on his major construction assignments – the Lauritzen range expanded to comprise a broad, varied selection of fittings.