Louis Poulsen is to relaunch the original Radiohus Pendant from the 1940s under the name of VL45 Radiohus Pendant. The Radiohus Pendant was originally created for the Radiohuset building on Frederiksberg in Copenhagen, which was designed by the architect Vilhelm Lauritzen – one of the leading proponents of modernism and functionalism.
Vilhelm Lauritzen also designed all the lights for the Radiohuset building in partnership with Louis Poulsen. The Radiohus Pendant has since become a cherished design icon that is in great demand at antique markets and auctions.
On account of its huge popularity, Louis Poulsen has decided to reintroduce the Radiohus Pendant in September 2016, when the light will be available in 3 sizes: 175mm, 250mm and 370mm diameter. The new light will feature the original design, updated to accommodate modern advances in light technology and energy efficiency. The Radiohus Pendant consists of three layers of mouth-blown glass. The innermost and outermost layers are made of transparent polished glass, while white glass is used for the intermediate layer.
“The historical ties between the Radiohus Pendant and the building for which it was created are clearly reflected in the design and the light-technology properties of the light itself. It was originally used for general illumination in many parts of the Radiohuset building.
And with its powerful downwards light combined with gentler illumination via the opal glass – which generate softer tones in the room – it is simply ideal for illuminating both everyday objects and more decorative items. The pendant is decorative in a simple manner, and it aligns neatly with the current furnishing trend of combining modern design with tried and tested classics,” says Rasmus Markholt, Design Manager at Louis Poulsen.
Materials 3 layers of mouth-blown glass (transparent polished glass for the innermost and outermost layers; white glass for the intermediate layer), brushed brass, white pvc cord
Mounting cable length: 4.4m
Weight 1 kg
Light source Ø17,5 cm E14
Light source Ø25 cm E27
Light source Ø37 cm E27 or LED integrated 3000-1800K D2W 41W DALI, phase dimming ou Bluetooth
Class Ingress protection IP20. Electric shock protection I w. Ground.
Vilhelm Lauritzen (1894–1984) is one of the most significant architects in the history of Denmark; he was the trail-blazing figurehead of Danish functionalism. A number of his buildings – Nørrebro Theatre (1931–32), Daells Varehus department store (1928–35), Radiohuset (1936-41) and the first airport built in Kastrup (1937–39) – represented the concentrated essence of contemporary life. Other significant buildings to stem from Lauritzen’s drawing board include Folkets Hus (1953–56) better known today as the Vega concert venue, the Shellhuset (1950–51) building and the Danish embassy in Washington (1958–60). In particular the Radiohuset building and the earliest version of Kastrup Airport – both listed today – are considered peerless monuments to modernism in the European genre of construction.
Throughout his life, Vilhelm Lauritzen adhered to the principle that architecture is applied art – with equal emphasis on both ‘art’ and ‘applied’. “No life without aesthetics” was another one of Vilhelm Lauritzen’s firmly held beliefs.
Vilhelm Lauritzen mastered both daylight and artificial lighting. He consistently involved daylight in his architectural projects by including large south- and west-facing windows that neatly mixed warm sunlight with the cooler sky light flowing in through windows facing north and east. It was an approach that shifted focus from the limited wall surfaces in the room itself. People, furnishings and fittings are highlighted and shaded in the sculptural light.
Lauritzen’s fixtures light up with the same idea. They combine strongly directed light that produces sharp shadows with a gentler, more diffuse illumination that softens and shades the rooms.
The first light fitting Vilhelm Lauritzen designed was created in 1926–29 for Fritzsches Glashandel and named the Universal pendant. As a true functionalist, Vilhlem Lauritzen dedicated his entire life to continuing to develop and improve his light fixtures.
Vilhelm Lauritzen’s first fixtures, which he designed for Radiohuset, started to appear in Louis Poulsen catalogues in the middle of the 1940s.
In the 1950s – in step with the progress on his major construction assignments – the Lauritzen range expanded to comprise a broad, varied selection of fittings.